Postdoc Fellow, Research Analytics / Bioinformatics
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries – and growing – we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
We seek a talented, collaborative computational researcher to work on developing cutting-edge computational systems biology approaches for characterizing the human ubiquitin-proteasome pathway (UPP) to identify novel therapeutic opportunities in cancers and other human diseases.
The successful applicant is expected to play a key scientific role leveraging innovative computational analysis strategies across a variety of biological and chemical data sources to deepen the understanding of UPP, and to empower the development of next generation cancer therapies utilizing UPP.
Reporting to the Research Analytics lead for Protein Homeostasis research, the successful candidate will work alongside colleagues in disease biology and drug discovery teams based in San Diego California, and the global Research Informatics and Knowledge Utilization (RIKU) department, both within Celgene Research and Early Development.
Scientific objectives and research scenarios include:
- Characterize tissue, cell-type and subcellular localization specificity of various components of UPP, Reconstruct the full cellular network of UPP by integrating multiple data sources such as genetic interactions, protein-protein interactions and gene regulatory networks, and
- Develop novel algorithms for the identification of potential substrates of E3 ligases and deubiquitinating enzymes in human malignancies.
- Data originates from a wide range of cellular and molecular profiling platforms, including transcriptomic, proteomic and functional genomic assays, both from the public domain and from internal Celgene efforts.
The role offers great opportunity to advance one’s scientific career both for future academic pursuits and in industrial R&D, and to directly impact the delivery of transformational therapies in key diseases of unmet medical need. Strong interest in the inter-disciplinary application of computational analysis methods to life sciences data is imperative.
- Working in collaboration with computational, biological and clinical scientists across the Celgene Research and Development organization, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Participate as a core team member in the Protein Homeostasis TCoE and RIKU Research Analytics group.
- Devise research plans and carry out independent research.
- Develop and apply leading-edge computational analysis and biological interpretation approaches to leverage internal, public and partner datasets.
- Collaborate with biological and clinical colleagues to investigate compound and disease properties and provide disease relevance insight and patient selection hypothesis.
- Author scientific reports in peer reviewed scientific journals.
- Present research at leading scientific conferences.
- Contribute to planning and execution of collaborative projects with leading academic and commercial research groups worldwide.
- Ph.D. in computational biology, bioinformatics, or related field from a recognized higher-education establishment.
- Proven expertise in the development and/or implementation of algorithms to distill, analyze and interpret complex datasets, with focus on network-based inference and pattern recognition.
- Experience of computational biology research on a wide variety of cellular and molecular profiling platforms.
- Expertise in algorithmic implementation, statistical programming and data manipulation, using e.g. R/Bioconductor and contemporary, open-source bioinformatics tools and databases.
- Knowledge and experience in cancer biology a plus.
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications in top-tier scientific journals.
- Proven problem-solving skills, collaborative nature and adaptability across disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluent verbal and written English language skills prerequisite.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.