Zentalis Pharmaceuticals is a San Diego based pharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery and development of small molecule therapeutics targeting fundamental biological pathways of cancer. In the six years since our inception, we have successfully cleared four INDs with the FDA. We believe our deep pipeline of oncology therapeutics has the potential to significantly improve the lives of patients with various types of cancer.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated leader with a passion for cancer drug discovery to build the Bioinformatics function at Zentalis. Reporting to the Vice-President of Discovery Biology, the ideal candidate will have the opportunity to set and drive the bioinformatics strategy across the organization and build a team. In both a technical and leadership capacity, the Director of Bioinformatics will make a significant impact in both Discovery and Translational research.
- Lead the development of computational methods for integrative analysis and visualization of large multi-omic datasets, such as RNA-seq, WES, WGS, chromatin profiling, at bulk and single cell sequencing level, proteomics and metabolomics, and correlation with clinical data
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams to drive data analysis, integration, and application across various 'omics platforms.
- Partner with key stakeholders across the organization to set and implement bioinformatics strategy.
- Translate insight from model systems into predictors and classifiers of therapeutic response and prognosis in clinical diseases.
- Develop algorithms used to gain insight into disease variation through analysis of next generation sequencing data
- Foster innovation and new product development with cutting edge data science, (machine learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- Lead the bioinformatics function, setting goals and functional strategy, as well as setting a standard of high-performance on the bioinformatics team.
- Produce high quality and detailed documentation for all projects.
- Works closely with Discovery and Translational teams
- Maintains high-functioning and synergistic cross-functional relationships across the Company’s discovery organization.
- Communicates science and strategy effectively in a variety of internal and external settings.
- Participates in competitive intelligence, as well as scientific and clinical knowledge management, to track advances in relevant therapeutic areas, by interacting with external experts, attending scientific meetings, and staying abreast of the literature.
- Furthers the Company’s culture of scientific excellence and achievement as well as champions the career growth of a talented team of cancer biologists.
- Ph.D. in bioinformatics, statistics, genetics or molecular biology with 10+ years of industry experience and strong publication record in peer-reviewed journals.
- Background in bioinformatics, machine learning, data science computational biology, and genetics and AI.
- World-renowned reputation as a leader in computational biology and bioinformatics.
- Proven record developing strategic vision leveraging computational biology to alter the paradigm for target and diagnostic discovery to support drug discovery and development efforts
- Demonstrated experience in next-generation sequencing (NGS) and broader biological data analysis; experience in algorithmic implementation and multi-mode data manipulation.
- Experiences in multiple omic data platforms, emerging technologies, as well as multiple bioinformatic or data science toolkits.
- Proven ability to mentor and develop world class talent
- Excellent leadership capabilities with demonstrated skill in building, guiding, and motivating effective teams and fostering productive research collaborations
- Record of successfully working cooperatively in a matrix type organization
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, experience working with multi-disciplinary teams and leading projects
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Expertise with NGS data and mainstream software packages for secondary analysis on small variant calling and structural variant calling
- At least 10 years of experience in developing bioinformatic pipelines and applications, with at least 5 years of successful leadership of teams
- D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Statistics, Biological Sciences, Cancer Biology, Genetics, Genomics, Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proven track record of developing custom algorithms for NGS analysis
- Proficiency with Python, R, Java, C++, Perl and SQL in Linux/Unix environment
- Solid understanding of next generation sequencing, genomics technologies and applications, ability to broaden knowledge to adjacent products
- Deep understanding of bioinformatics tools, including modern statistical and machine learning tools for analysis of genomics datasets