Come join our world-class team evaluating, in-licensing, and developing innovative therapeutic products internationally.
HUYABIO™ is the leader in accelerating the global development of novel biopharmaceutical product opportunities originating in China enabling faster, more cost-effective and lower-risk drug development in the global markets. Through extensive collaboration with biopharmaceutical, academic and commercial organizations, it has built the largest China-sourced compound portfolio covering all therapeutic areas. Hiyasta® the company’s first commercial product is marketed in Japan. With offices in the US, Japan, South Korea, Canada, Ireland and eight strategic locations across China, the Company has become a partner of choice to accelerate product development and maximize value globally. For more information, please visit www.huyabio.com.
The Senior Director of Research will work with the Database team to lead the global SLM and due diligence team in conducting a comprehensive search of therapeutic and diagnostic technologies from China to identify promising Chinese opportunities for HUYABIO to further develop. The Senior Director will establish strong working relationships with Chinese life science parks, research institutions, and biopharmaceutical companies to position HUYABIO as the first to evaluate and secure licenses to novel therapeutic and diagnostic products identified in China and will assist its team in doing the same. The Senior Director will coordinate and facilitate communication between its resources and HUYABIO’s global team. The position will report into HUYABIO’s Vice President of Research, Data Management.
This is an office-based position that works in a cross-functional and dynamic environment. Clear, timely, professional, and effective communication with all HUYABIO functional areas and global office sites is essential.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Strengthen HUYABIO’s reputation among its collaborators as a leading expert in drug discovery and development and continuously recruit and strengthen HUYABIO’s scientific liaison network in China.
- Promote HUYABIO’s entry into breakthrough scientific fields across all therapeutic areas via identification and evaluation of early technologies prior to involvement of other outside parties.
- Provide critical support to the attainment of HUYABIO’s business objectives related to strategic collaboration and product development through scientific leadership.
- Identify in-licensing candidates from scientific evaluation and due diligence functions, provide scientific recommendations, support all in-license activities.
- Scientific due diligence: Lead China team to perform scientific due diligence on all selected candidates; Oversee data gathering, due diligence checkups; Provide DD recommendations to in-license committee.
- Perform FTF meetings selected by sourcing team and BD team for relationship building.
- Participate in company strategy and fundraising efforts as needed.
- Supervise the global SLM and due diligence teams in therapeutic and diagnostic sourcing, networking, and project management.
- Provide training and mentoring to San Diego team for China due diligence.
- Identify novel therapeutics and diagnostics at various stages of development in all human health therapeutic areas from Chinese organizations and coordinate information on all potential opportunities in the region for the HUYABIO team.
- Lead efforts to facilitate negotiation and execution of “first look,” exclusive evaluation, and in-licensing agreements between HUYABIO and entities in China.
- Establish networks and maintain contacts with Principal Investigators and scientists at leading universities, research institutions, and companies in China within the region to enable early evaluation of new scientific discoveries, biomarkers, or other diagnostics
- Identify opportunities to develop different potential alliance models to expand HUYABIO business opportunities in China.
- Strengthen HUYABIO’s networks in China by collecting industrial business intelligence, such as new government policies, new drug development, new technology, and other information regarding the competitive landscape.
- Prepare and present detailed reports of opportunities and contacts in China with specific recommendations.
- Promote HUYABIO’s business by attending conferences, visiting sites, and participating in various public relations and marketing campaigns.
- Communicate with other regional offices in China and the US team to support business activities.
- Respond to inquiries from HUYABIO’s project management teams and prepare reports and presentations for senior management timely and effectively.
Job Qualifications and Requirements
- Ph.D. in life sciences, pharmacology or medicine from a top university or institute.
- Minimum fifteen (15) years in life science sectors with knowledge of diagnostic or pharmaceutical product development and five (5) years of supervisory experience.
- Must be fluent in Chinese (Mandarin) and English with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Wide network in the Chinese pharmaceutical, diagnostics, and biotechnology industry and strong connections with academic institutions.
- Experience in business intelligence, market research, competitive analysis, contract negotiation and/or business development.
- Proven success in building internal cross-functional and external relationships.
- Able to work under pressure and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to “roll up your sleeves” and contribute results to a research and development effort.
- Demonstrated teamwork and leadership abilities.
- Up to 25% international travel as needed
- Fluency in speaking, reading and writing in Mandarin is required
The position is full‐time, and the incumbent must be able to commute to HUYABIO’s Del Mar, California office at least part-time each week.