Zentalis Pharmaceuticals is a San Diego and New York City based biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery and development of small molecule therapeutics targeting fundamental biological pathways of cancer. In the six years since our inception, we have successfully cleared four INDs with the FDA. We believe our deep pipeline of oncology therapeutics has the potential to significantly improve the lives of patients with various types of cancer.
Zentalis is seeking a highly experienced and motivated Program Management Lead to join our Global Program and Alliance Management team. The qualified candidate will lead Development Program Team(s), in conjunction with the Clinical Development Medical Lead and Preclinical Science Lead, to successfully shape and execute the project and drug development strategies. The Program Management Lead will need an in-depth understanding of Clinical Drug Development Process and provides an independent perspective to the overall project strategy and drives decision making to ensure efficient program execution and broader portfolio value. The Program Management Lead is accountable for the cross-functional planning and execution of one or more programs including definition of the operational strategy, management of timelines, cost, quality, and risk assessment and mitigation.
- Create and maintain a cross-function development plan, timeline and budget for each assigned program and ensuring progress vs. plan. This includes creation of the operational plan and formulating the project scope, project plan, & critical paths.
- Partners with the Clinical Development Medical Lead and Preclinical Science Lead (depending on development phase) to support a cross-functional matrix team of experts in advancing programs/assets. Ensure Program Team has established and execute on program milestones which are in alignment with Corporate strategy and objectives.
- With support from cross functional team, establish project timelines and milestones for the individual program studies which includes maintaining Microsoft Project Gantt timelines.
- Support and facilitate effective, science-based business decisions including development of scenarios as needed, highlighting interdependencies and downstream impacts (including but not limited to timelines and budget) of strategic decisions.
- Ensures all decisions are assessed and properly evaluated for various scenarios/options as well as to their risks and impacts.
- Proactively directs the identification and escalation of potential issues/risks or obstacles and achieves resolution independently.
- Accountable for communication to team and stakeholders in a transparent and timely manner.
- Coordinate resource and budget planning across functions to assure adequate resources are applied to the project and any changes are highlighted appropriately.
- Support and foster a high performing team and monitor the health and operating efficiency of the team as a unit.
- Support tracking and monitor of program objectives/goals.
- In addition to leading Development Teams, the Program Management Lead will also lead and / or manage PMO projects / initiatives as needed.
- Will also provide support as needed to the Head of Global Program and Alliance Management.
- The Program Management Lead may also serve as part of a PM team with direct supervisory or oversight responsibility for Project Managers.
- Advanced degree in Life Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Physical Sciences or other relevant discipline. M.S., Ph.D., or medical degree in science-related discipline highly preferred.
- Minimum of 12 years of experience in biotech/pharmaceutical industry, including at least 6 years in project/portfolio management with experience leading cross-functional matrix teams
- Demonstrated competency and expertise in Pre-clinical and/or Clinical Drug Development with solid understanding of Oncology disease area and drug development pathway and the ability to contribute to strategic discussions.
- Experience in NCE development required; experience in NBE development a plus.
- Leadership skills including situational leadership, ability to lead a team of experts and influence without authority.
- Demonstrated ability to lead matrix teams, knows how to work at the strategic level and when to delve deeper to resolve issues and challenges.
- Strong communicator able to integrate and succinctly summarize the various parts of a project and effectively tailor messages to audience incl. senior leaders.
- Development of high-quality documents and presentations for review at governance committees and support senior management in preparation documents and presentations as needed. Demonstrated ability to lead multiple programs and initiatives and to prioritize tasks.
- Demonstrated alliance management capabilities (e.g. experience working with external partners)
- Experience setting and tracking cross-functional program budgets.
- Experience with commonly used project management tools including proficiency in Microsoft Project.
- Excellent Project Management Skills – drives execution while balancing speed, quality, and cost.
- Successful line management experience